Indonesian style of fried chicken is completely different than American battered fried chicken. This Indonesian turmeric fried chicken is a very popular food among Indonesian, as well as in my family. It is marinated with aromatic spices, one of them is turmeric which makes it yellow. This is why it is called yellow fried chicken or turmeric fried chicken.
Living abroad forced me to cook myself when I was craving for food from home. I used to call my mum quite often to ask for recipes. Since then, I have become more and more fond of cooking. This yellow or turmeric fried chicken recipe I am sharing today is one of my best recipes. Every time I cook for friends, either when I was in Australia, or now, here in Poland, they love it and always ask for the recipe after they’ve tried this fried chicken. No one can refuse its exotic flavour!
Turmeric fried chicken ingredients:
- 8 chicken legs or 1 whole chicken cut to 6-8 pieces
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp: soak with 100 ml water for at least 10 minutes, after that squeeze it and discard the leftover pulp to get just the juice
- cooking oil for frying
Spice paste ingredients:
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cm ginger
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 candlnuts or almonds
How to make turmeric fried chicken:
- Place the cut chicken in a container (consider to use glass or metal, not plastic or white container, as turmeric will leave stains on it).
- Rub salt all over the chicken and leave it aside.
- After that put all the spice paste ingredients in food processor and blend it until it forms a fine paste.
- Next, add spice paste, kaffir lime leaves and tamarind juice to the chicken, rub it all over the chicken and then keep it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take marinated chicken out of the fridge and cook it over small to medium heat in a pot and cover it with the lid for 10 minutes. Then remove the lid, turn the chicken and let it cook until the water is reduced.
- Preheat cooking oil on a wok/pan over medium heat and fry the chicken until it becomes golden brown, but not too long as it’s been cooked already.