Chicken soup is a special dish for most people. Beside the delicious taste, it is also known as a very healthy dish. Perfect for winter or cold weather to keep our body warm. Eating hot chicken soup could help relieve flu or cold symptoms. Warm chicken soup helps thinning or loosen the mucus on our throat and chest. Chinese style chicken sweet corn soup is a must-try.
Not long ago I was sick and lost my appetite. My digestive system was very weak. So I decided to cook my favourite chicken sweet corn soup, as I also needed a lot of fluids to help me stay hydrated. I didn’t really eat the corn (I picked it out from my bowl) because of my weak stomach, but I love the corn flavour. After having eaten the hot chicken corn soup, I started to sweat and it helped to soothe my blocked nose. Here I share my favourite chicken sweet corn soup recipe:
Chicken sweet corn soup ingredients:
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 fresh sweet corn or 1 small can kernels
- 1.5 or 2 litre water
- 2 small carrots
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 4 tbsp tapioca/potato/corn starch
- 2 dried shiitake mushroom (optional)
How to make chicken sweet corn soup:
- First, boil 1.5 to 2 litre of water in a pot.
- When the water starts boiling, add chicken drumsticks, ginger, carrots, dried mushrooms and bay leaves. Let it cook on medium heat. Remove the scum floating on the surface.
- Use fork to check on carrots by poking it. If they are already soft, take it out and place them on a plate to let it cool down. After that, cut the carrots to small cubes and leave it aside.
- Let the drumsticks cook until the meat is soft and tender. Take chicken drumsticks out and let them cool down. Remove bay leaves, dried mushrooms and ginger. If the soup has reduced, add more water.
- When the drumsticks cooled down, separate the meat and bones. Discard the bones and cut the meat into small pieces as on the picture above, or bigger if you prefer it.
- Add the cut chicken meat, carrots and corn kernels into soup. Add salt and pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small cup, mix tapioca/potato/corn starch with 1/3 cup of water. Stir well until starch resolved without lumps. Then, pour it into the soup and quickly stir it to well combine. The purpose of the starch is to thicken the soup.
- Next, whisk eggs in a small bowl using fork and slowly pour it into the soup while stirring the soup.
- Finally, try the soup and adjust the taste as you desire.
- Serve chicken sweet corn soup hot. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and more ground pepper if you like. Enjoy!