This Japanese teriyaki salmon brown rice salad is a good choice for a healthy lunch or dinner menu. Beside the good nutritional content, it also has good taste and is easy to prepare. It is one of my favourite, which I really recommend as a menu for lunch box to work. No microwave needed as all salads normally are eaten cold 🙂 So, you can skip the queue to use microwave during lunch peak hour in your office’s kitchen.
Teriyaki is a Japanese’s cooking technique in which food (mostly meat) is marinated or glazed with sauce (mixture of soy sauce, mirin/sake and sugar or honey), then grilled. To make your own teriyaki sauce, just simply heat up the mixture of those three ingredients, and reduce it to form a thick sauce similar to sweet soy sauce. There are many ready teriyaki sauces that can be found easily at supermarkets. I have provided the recipe below completed with the dressing recipe. I hope you will like it.
Teriyaki salmon salad ingredients:
- 150 g salmon
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- washed salad mix
- few slices of cucumber
- half tomato (sliced) or cherry/grape tomatoes
- grated carrot
- alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
Salad dressing ingredients:
- 1/2 tsp teriyaki sauce (more if needed)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toast and grind it
- juice from 1/2 of navel orange (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Bring all salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix them well. Leave it aside.
- First step is to cook brown rice and let it cool down.
- After that, pat dry salmon with paper towel and slice it into sashimi size. Put the sliced salmon onto a small non-stick pan.
- Add teriyaki sauce and cook the salmon on medium heat. Stir it until well combined and cover the pan for about 8 minutes. Open the lid, stir, and let it cook until the sauce is thick (reduced). Set aside, let it cool down.
- Serve salad as on the first picture above: brown rice on the bottom, salad mix, sliced cucumber, grated carrot, tomato and alfalfa sprouts on top of the rice. Put teriyaki salmon on the top of everything and sprinkle the teriyaki salmon with roasted sesame seeds.
- Lastly, pour salad dressing into the salad bowl. Mix it well and enjoy your teriyaki salmon salad (It is better to add salad dressing directly before eating the salad).
Happy cooking 🙂