Hi.. As my partner is Polish and I have been living in this country for a while, I would like to share the recipe of Polish traditional cake called Szarlotka. It is actually a kind of apple pie in Polish style and is perfect to have it with a cup of tea or coffee. Let’s start with it!
The crust ingredients:
- 200 g unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 220 g sugar
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg (keep the 3 egg whites for the filling)
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp yogurt or milk powder
The filling ingredients:
- 8 granny smith or royal gala apples
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- juice from half lemon
Peel, core and slice the apples about as thin as in the picture above. Next, put all the filling ingredients in a cooking pan, mix it well and cook it on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Combine plain flour and baking powder together, add butter and mix it well using food processor or mixer. The mixture should be sandy in texture.
- Add sugar, 3 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg, vanilla sugar and yoghurt and mix until it has achieved a dough consistency. Roll it into a ball.
- Divide the dough into two. Form half of the dough into a ball, wrap it and freeze it for an hour. Roll the other half into a rectangular sheet, place it on the lined or greased baking tray (mine is size 40×32.5cm, so my tray is a little bit too big for the amount of this dough, but it wasn’t a problem at all). This is the bottom part of the crust.
- When the other half of the dough has stayed almost an hour in the freezer, its time to heat the oven to 175 Celsius, then bake the bottom part of the crust for 15 minutes.
- While waiting for the crust, whip the 3 egg whites and add 1 tbs of sugar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla sugar. Whip until it becomes stiff and shiny foam.
- Remove the bottom crust from the oven and spread the filling evenly onto the crust. Next, spread the egg whites mixture evenly onto the filling.
- Take out the other half of the dough from the freezer and grate it onto the filling and egg whites foam, spread it evenly. Now it should look like in the picture above.
- Bake until it is golden brown and the topping crust has cooked completely (around 40 minutes).
Leave it to cool down, then cut into squares. Dust it with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream, or even vanilla ice cream is a great choice.