Satay is one of the most popular Indonesian dishes, and certainly my favourite! Living abroad like me, I find it very difficult to get this dish with its authentic taste in the restaurants. So.. Here I share this satay recipe that I got from my mum and I think you will like it! This recipe is for 35 to 40 skewers.
- 1 kg pork (shoulder) or beef (sirloin) or chicken (thigh filets)
- half of lemon juice or 1.5 tbsp tamarind pulp soak in 1/4 cup water, then squeeze and discard the pulp
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon tapioca or corn starch
Seasoning Paste ingredients:
- 6 shallots or 1/2 large brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric/curcuma powder
- 2 cm ginger or galangal
- 1 fresh red chilli, discard the seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
Blend all the seasoning paste ingredients in food processor to form fine paste.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 35 to 40 bamboo or other type of skewers
How to make satay:
- First, cut the meat into 1/2 cm thick strips or cubes and mix it well with lemon or tamarind juice.
- Next, mix the seasoning paste, sweet soy sauce and cooking oil into the meat and combine it well. After that put it into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take out the marinated meat from the fridge and thread it on the skewers to your desired length. In fact I made 35 satay (skewers) with the size as in the picture above.
- Grill satay in the oven at 200 Celsius until it is cooked well, around 15 to 20 minutes, then turn the satay and grill it for another 7 minutes or until it becomes golden brown as in the picture below. You can use the grill pan instead of the oven.
- Now serve satay with peanut sauce and sprinkle fried onion and chopped spring onion on top of it.
Spices for peanut sauce:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder
- 3 shallots
- 1 cm ginger or galangal
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
Combine all the spices in food processor and make spice paste (this spice paste is optional, however it still tastes good without it).
Main ingredients of peanut sauce:
- 250 g roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, soak it in 1/4 ml water, squeeze the tamarind pulp and discard the pulp for the juice or just use 1/4 lemon juice freshly squeezed.
- 300 ml water
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (as desired)
- 50 ml coconut milk
- half stalk lemongrass cut to 2 or 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- At first, crush the roasted peanuts, tamarind or lemon juice and water use blender or food processor.
- Then add 2 tbsp cooking oil onto cooking pan on medium heat, after that add the spice paste (if you have it), bay leaves and lemongrass or kaffir leaves, cook while stirring it until aromatic.
- Finally, add the blended peanuts, salt, coconut sugar, coconut milk and sweet soy sauce. Cook over low heat while stirring for 15 to 20 minutes. Now serve this peanut sauce with satay.
When you have eaten all the satay but still have the peanut sauce, you can serve it with hard boiled eggs.