Apple crumble, also known as apple crisp, is a modified version of apple pie. As we know that apple pie is originally from England, and so is apple crumble. In the Second World War, there were shortages of pastry ingredients. Dealing with this kind of situation, the people there tried to lower the use of flour, fat and sugar which are used a lot in making pie pastry. Reducing those pastry’s main ingredients and adding oatmeal to make crumble mix was an economical alternative. Since then, apple crumble became popular.
Apple crumble is very easy to prepare and there are so many versions of it. Today I want to introduce my version of apple crumble. Pretty simple and still classic, but I have almond meringue on it as topping, to make it look more attractive. But the first reason is, I don’t want to waste the egg white as I use egg yolk the crumble mix. Feel free to follow and share my apple crumble recipe. This recipe is for 8 portions/servings.
Ingredients of Apple Crumble:
- 7 to 8 apples
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- half tsp grounded nutmeg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- half tsp cinnamon powder
- 200 g flour
- 100 gr chilled butter
- 90 g sugar
- 1 egg yolk (keep egg white for meringue)
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp or 8 walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- First, peel and core apples and slice them not too thin so it won’t be too mushy.
- In a container combine well sliced apple with lemon juice and after that add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins and mix it well.
- Fill apple mixture into the ramekins and keep it aside while waiting for the crumble.
- Next, for the crumble combine flour and sugar in a container.
- Cut chilled butter in small cubes and add it to the flour mixture, together with egg yolk. Knead it well by hand. The mixture should be a bit dry and sandy or as breadcrumb consistency.
- Add rolled oats, walnuts and sunflower seeds and, again, combine it well.
- Place crumbles mix on the apple (filling) mixture until it covers all the filling.
- Bake it in preheated oven over 190 celsius for about 20 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- For meringue, whisk egg white 1 minute and add 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp vanillin sugar, beat it until white stiff peaks. Put it into piping bag and pipe/decorate the surface of ready apple crisp and sprinkle sliced almond on it. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until meringues become golden. Meringue mix from 1 egg white is only enough for 4 apple crumbles.
- The other 4 without almond meringue topping can be served with vanilla ice cream.
Happy baking and I hope you like it!