Sugar cookies are mostly found on special occasions such as on Christmas, baby shower, and as wedding favours. They are decorated with icing, sprinkles or combination of both. It can be shaped or cut out of the spreaded dough using shaped cookie cutter, matching with the theme of the event.
Today I’d like to share an easy recipe of sugar cookies as one of the ideas for home made wedding favors. Please follow and share the recipe below:
Sugar cookies ingredients:
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 220 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp yogurt
How to make sugar cookies:
- First of all, mix and sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt, then set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and vanilla extract, then set aside.
- After that, whisk together butter and caster sugar in a clean mixing bowl. Mix or whisk until soft, light and fluffy.
- Then, add egg and vanilla mixture gradually. Mix them well for about a minute.
- Next, gradually add (in 3 additions) dry ingredients mixture (flour, baking powder and salt),mix it until well combined . Use hands to knead the dough until it comes together. Wrap the dough using cling wrap or plastic bag and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours.
- Divide the dough to two and roll half of the dough into about 1/2 cm thick, then using cookie cutter, cut as many cookies as you can. Repeat the same to the other half of the dough until finish.
- Place the cookies on baking sheet and chill them in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or 8 minutes in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius and bake the cookies until golden brown for more or less 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies to cool down and store it in airtight container.
- Decorate them as desired. On the pictures I provided here, I used ‘royal icing‘ (whisk together egg white, sugar powder and a little bit of lemon juice).