Spanish flan is a delicious baked vanilla egg custard pudding topped with caramel, a very famous dessert in Spain. It is my favourite dessert, as I am also a big fan of caramel. This dessert has light and creamy texture and is very addictive.
I fell in love with this dessert since I tried it for the first time. At first, I thought it is hard to prepare. After a friend of mine showed me how to do it, I was surprised that it was so simple with just a few ingredients which can be found easily. I have prepared the instructions for you, so please follow the recipe below:
Spanish flan ingredients:
Ingredients for caramel:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
Ingredients for pudding:
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 370 g or 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
How to make Spanish flan:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare a small sauce pan, put all caramel ingredients onto sauce pan and melt them over medium heat. Cook until the colour turned to golden brown or became caramel. Pour the caramel onto a glass/ceramic dish or ramekin (I used a round mould with 20 cm diameter).
- In a medium or large pan, whisk together eggs, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Warm it up over medium heat (not until boiling).
- Fill the kettle with water and boil it. This boiling water is for water bath in baking flan.
- Prepare a large baking tray which can fit the flan mould (ramekin) in it. Put it into the oven.
- Pour flan mixture onto the mould which has been filled with caramel before. If there were bubbles on the surface, remove them.
- Put the flan on the baking tray in the oven. Pour boiling water onto baking tray until 2 cm of the flan mould (or half of the flan’s height) is covered by the water (water bath).
- Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until the flan is set.
- Remove flan from oven and let it cool down. After that put it into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Take flan out from the fridge. Turn it over onto a large serving dish, shake gently to release the flan.
- Cut flan as desired and serve.