Crispy roast pork belly is always hard to resist. Especially when I passed the Cantonese restaurants in China Town, when I lived in Sydney, Australia. In my home city, Pontianak (West Borneo, Indonesia), crispy pork belly is also very popular. We can find it in chicken rice restaurant. Chicken rice in my home city is a meal which is rice served with not just roast chicken, but also with crispy pork belly, bbq pork, braised egg and pickled mustard greens. I was quite often buying crispy pork belly take away from the Cantonese restaurants in China Town, Sydney, which they are selling by weight. Now I don’t live in Sydney nor my home city where I can find my favourite crispy pork belly. Therefore I had to make it myself.
Today I am sharing this crispy roast pork belly recipe which is quite simple. But before that, I have to warn you about one thing. According to my experience, in order to get the crispy skin outcome, pork belly needs to be roasted with very high temperature. So, keep in mind that when you open the oven when you have finished roasting it, there will be some smoke. Be very careful if there is smoke detector in your flat, to avoid triggering the alarm. At my place, there is no smoke detector and I just needed to open the windows to let the smoke and smell out of the flat.
Ingredients of crispy roast pork belly:
- 1 kg pork belly
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 2-3 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cooking wine (optional)
How to make crispy roast pork belly:
- Boil water in a big pot which can fit the pork belly. Rinse pork belly, try to remove leftover hair, if there is any. Put it into boiling water for a minute on each side. Strain and pat dry with paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- After that, use metal skewers or pricking tool to prick all over the skin (or you can use a very strong and sharp fork).
- Turn over pork belly then make several incisions, give distance of 2 cm between each incision (as on the second picture above).
- Mix all marinade ingredients and rub it evenly all over pork belly except for the skin.
- Put pork belly on a dish with skin facing up. Pat dry the skin with paper towel, then put it in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius. Apply the salt evenly on the pork skin until skin is fully covered (as on the third picture). Wrap around the pork belly with aluminium foil.
- Put pork belly into oven, on a rack with a baking tray underneath it and roast it for 30-35 minutes.
- Take out pork belly from the oven, remove aluminium foil and the salt layer which has formed crust. Brush a thin layer of vinegar on pork skin then put pork belly back into oven on the lowest rack. Place a baking tray below the pork belly rack, as the fat from the pork belly will be dripping down. Increase the temperature of the oven to 240-250 Celsius. Roast for 15 minutes or until all the skin puffed up or became crispy.
- Take out roasted crispy pork belly and let it cool down. Cut or slice it as desired and serve it with chilli sauce.