Caramel honeycomb cake is another popular cake that often found in Indonesia’ traditional markets. It is a classic cake from childhood memories for most of Indonesian people. This cake is also well-known as ants nest cake or kue sarang semut in Indonesian, because of the structure that looks like it. It has light taste but deep caramel flavour with soft and spongy texture.
It is fairly easy to make this caramel cake with simple method and not too many ingredients. Beside that, it is not much time consuming. Don’t worry if you don’t have electric mixer, which is not really required in making this cake. We have provided the recipe below for anyone who would like to try it for their weekend’s tea party with family or friends.
Ingredients of caramel honeycomb cake:
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g hot/boiling water
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 75 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 75 g plain flour
- 25 g corn or tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
How to make caramel honeycomb cake:
- Melt sugar over low heat and leave it until it turned in brown colour/caramel.
- After that, carefully pour hot/boiling water, starting with a little amount then the the rest it. Stir until the caramel melted, then switch off the stove.
- Add butter/margarine into the caramel water while it still warm, in order for the butter to melt. Then add sweetened condensed milk and stir them until well combined. Leave it aside to cool down.
- Sift plain flour, corn/tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt (dry ingredients) into a clean mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius using top and buttom heat.
- Prepare a medium size baking mould (I used a medium size: 28 cm x 9 cm loaf baking mould). Grease the baking mould with butter/margarine and lightly dust with plain flour.
- In a clean bowl, whisk or beat eggs for 1-2 minutes, then pour it in the flour mixture (dry ingredients).
- Also add the caramel in the flour mixture. Whisk until well-combined and make sure there is no lumps in cake batter.
- Spoon/pour the mixture unto baking mould, then bake it for about 30 minutes. To check, insert a clean toothpick into the centre of the cake and pull out, if it comes out clean, it means cake is done.
- In order to make the caramel honeycomb cake look nicer with much better taste, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese then sliced almonds on it. Put it into the oven to bake for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take out cake from the oven, let it cool down then remove from the baking tin. Cut as desired and serve.