Apple turnovers is a delicious snack or dessert that is very easy to make. If you haven’t tried to do it yourself, maybe this is the opportunity to prepare this easy apple turnovers with puff pastry recipe. Once you have tried, it surely will become a recipe that you will use over and over again.
Apple turnovers are the portable version (like little grab and go) of apple pies, as they fit in our hand and easier to be carried. It is made by placing apple filling on a piece of pastry dough, then folding the pastry over, sealing the edges and bake. They are commonly baked, but also could be fried.
Ingredients of apple turnovers:
- 1 ready puff pastry sheet 300 g
- 2 apples (granny smith or royal gala)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (3 tbsp if like sweet)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp corn/tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 egg (for egg-wash)
- brown sugar to sprinkle on the surface of apple turnovers
How to make apple turnovers:
- Peel, core and wash the apples. Cut apples in small cubes, then place it in a clean cooking pan.
- Add fresh lemon juice, sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg into the diced apples.
- Cook diced apples mixture over medium heat, stir until sugar melts and apples are slightly soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn/tapioca starch. Stir well until there are no more lumps, then pour it to apple mixture and stir well. When the juice/sauce of apples thickens, switch off the stove and leave it aside to cool down.
- Prepare a sheet of square puff pastry, cut or divide it into 6 or 8 small squares (defrost frozen pastry before use).
- Place some apple filling in the centre of a piece square pastry. Fold the pastry to form rectangle (as on the picture above) or triangle shape. Seal the edge by pressing all the edges together with fingers. Use the back of a fork and press it on the pastry edge to help sealing it and also to make the it look nicer.
- Place the shaped apple filled pastries on baking paper and keep then in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 200 Celsius.
- Take out pastries from the fridge and arrange them on the baking tray.
- Mix egg with half tsp vegetable oil or a tsp of milk. Whisk until combined. Brush the surface of apple turnovers with this egg wash, then sprinkle brown sugar on it.
- Put apple turnovers into oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until turned golden brown.
- Switch off oven, take out apple turnovers and let it cool down before serve.