I have been trying to make easy, not requiring kneading wholemeal bread but still achieve the rustic skin outcome just like the artisan-style. I failed many times but I never lost hope. I have tried putting steaming hot water in the oven before, but the result was not very satisfying. I read many successful recipes in which dutch oven was used and then I thought of my Pyrex glass casserole dish. I decided to give it a try and finally I was very happy with the outcome, and I am happy to share this rustic wholemeal bread recipe with everyone.
During this Covid-19 pandemic difficult time, most of us have been avoiding eating out, we cook or prepare our meal at home instead. At least that is what I prefer to do now. I even baked my own bread and have been enjoying doing it so much, as it is just so simple and tastes so yummy ^_^.
Bake the dough in casserole dish with the lid is the secret to achieve the rustic crack. Below is the recipe:
- 27 fresh yeast (9 g dried instant yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 300 ml tepid water
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 260 g all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1.5 tbsp flax seeds
How to prepare:
- First thing to do is to mix the first 3 ingredients above (yeast, sugar and tepid water) and let it sit for about 3 – 5 minutes, to make sure that the yeast is active.
- Add all ingredients including the yeast mixture into a big mixing bowl, knead either with mixer or by hand for about 5 minutes. The consistency will be like in the picture above: a bit sticky, but don’t worry about it.
- Cover the dough with a lid or cling wrap, let it rise until double in size which normally takes about an hour.
- Sprinkle good amount of all purpose flour on working surface to shape the dough, only for dusting and shaping. Apply and rub oil on your palms beforehand so the dough won’t stick.
- Shape the dough into any shapes that will fit into glass casserole dish, but also keep in mind that the dough will expand. My casserole dish size is just a perfect size for this recipe (24 x 16cm, height 13cm). See the picture below.
- Let the shaped dough sit for at least 20 minutes. In the mean time, preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Put the casserole dish with the lid into the oven as it needs to be preheated as well.
- Carefully take out the heated casserole dish, put the shaped dough inside the dish, score the surface of the shaped dough with sharp knife and cover with lid. Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on, then another 20 to 25 minutes without the lid.
- The bread is ready if it sounds hollow when you tap it.
Wait for the bread to cool down before slicing. Fresh, warm bread with butter is one of my favorite thing 🙂 I hope you enjoy it and happy baking!!